Sunday, March 16, 2014

A New Challenge

I have to admit that I particularly hate running. Not mildly, but severely. I really hate running.

This is true.
I ran cross country for one season when I was in 7th grade. That was bad. I was bad. The mascots for the other schools still beat me (they were kids who were too young to be on the team, but who apparently LOVED running). So what does my tirade on running have to do with anything?

Well, I'm 30 years old and I have decided to run my first (and probably last) race as an adult. I'm going to run in a 5K the first weekend in May. I might be crazy. I'm probably crazy, but it's a good challenge. I tried to do the Couch to 5K program a couple of years ago, but dropped it because I didn't like it. So I'm brushing it off and starting it tomorrow (can't today as there's a cyclone here). I'm going to do this. Maybe I'm choosing this because I feel like blogging will keep me accountable and because a challenge might be good for me.

I'm getting a sneaking suspicion that my health and weight may be stopping us from conceiving, so I'm determined to finally do something about it. If this isn't enough motivation, then I don't know what is.

So when the time comes, I'm going to be running a 5K race. I'll probably look like this:


I asked Ginger if he would do it with me, but he was a bit evasive about it. He hurt his back about 10 years ago and hasn't really done any running since then. He may just be waiting for me at the finish line instead. I might see if he will train with me at least a couple times a week and see how he does from there. But how amazing would it be to do this together?

PS-I'm the slowest runner in the world. But if I can finish this, then I'll be happy with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment