Tuesday, September 22, 2015

This Stuff is HARD

I just finished re-reading the first Harry Potter book. I may be 32, but I love children's literature. I was  struck by the ending of the book. When Harry has to go back to the Dursleys for the summer, he is surprisingly upbeat about it. He knows what it's like there, he grew up in it. But he has a small kernel of knowledge now that changes everything. There's a spark in him that they can't stamp out and that makes him smile as he walks away from his school friends.

I need to find that spark again in myself. When I get down about things in my life and struggle to find the motivation to get out of bed, I need to remember what my spark is. Here's the thing though, I'm not sure what it is anymore.

It used to be working with children, but it's not that anymore.

It used to be sewing, but it's not that anymore.

It used to be dancing, but it's not that anymore.

I know what it should be. It should be my faith. I should be joyful everyday to be alive and glorify my God because of that. Instead, I sideline that and forget to give thanks for the good things God has given me. I focus on the chores I need to do, the obligations I have in my life, the duties I have to do during the day. Ugh, that's a terrible way to live. So as I sit in bed, unwinding and going to sleep, I am making a change. I am not going to see tomorrow as a list of things I have to do. I will choose to see it as an opportunity and a gracious gift. Tomorrow is full of hope and promise and the chance to share the joy in my heart (or at least build it up).

So while health issues abound, projects are unfinished at home, more time is spent away from my husband that with him, and work can be a pain at times...I will rejoice because I am alive and here and able to change my attitude about the situation, even if I can't change the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment