Saturday, April 26, 2014

National Infertility Awareness Week

So I found out that this week is National Infertility Awareness Week in the USA. A friend of mine from college posted this beautiful blog post concerning infertility. I don't know if I am infertile, I've not had any testing done. What I do know is I've been trying to conceive for 9 cycles now and I still have no baby. It's never somewhere I thought I would be and reading about other people who struggle to conceive makes me realize that I'm not alone. We are not alone. We should not be ignored, our struggles should be shared in love and care, and our support comes from all over the world. So from the land of the long white cloud, I shout out my support to all couples struggling to conceive, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed infertile. Here's excerpts from my friend's post:

Also here is a link to her blog:


Dear Friend,

So you're infertile, eh?  Isn't that such a gross word?  I feel like we should be so far beyond that word in this day & age but nope, we're stuck with it. What's annoying is that there are just as many infertile men in the U.S. but no one associates that word with them. Being infertile is like this HUGE word anchored to our uteruses sinking us deeper & deeper into despair. It's cold and clinical and even saying 'being infertile' makes me cringe because if I had the option I would just 'be' something else like maybe, you know, fertile. For some reason the word has become embarrassing in our society.  We whisper it to people when they ask us why we don't have kids. Often we don't want to admit that we are & end up saying things like, "in God's timing..." or "one day, we'll see!"  

........


.......
I promise one day you'll get to a point where you will accept it. You don't have to be happy about it, but acceptance is freeing. Whether you choose to not parent a child, pursue reproductive therapy or adopt, choose the path that makes you happy. Know that you belong to a community of so many women that know your struggle & are there to help you through it. Together, we're capable of more than we know.





Don't give up, ok?

With Love,

Infertile Myrtle


No comments:

Post a Comment